Discursive essay is another kind of academic papers, which is used to check the students’ skills and knowledge. Its main particularity is the aim to provoke discussion on the call-off topic. As a result the author joins the conversation about any situation, even, issue, or problem.
Besides demonstration of your options and unique ideas, such type of paper is made to highlight your ability to collect and use arguments. So such a task is not only theoretical, but also practical for students no matter the year of studying.
You can face discursive essays in 3 types:
- papers with for and against arguments;
- essays to demonstrate your opinion about exact topic;
- Texts with real propositions and problem solutions.
They differ a little, but the main goal is the same: the author should share his option and discuss topic using relevant arguments. There are several steps in making a discursive essay, which every writer must hold. You need to follow a proper structure and keep all requirements.
How to Start a Discursive Essay?
Before you start your writing, you should make several important steps. Don’t think that you can write several pages about anything you want and expect a positive mark. The discursive essay is not a simple task. If author aspires to make brilliant paper, he should follow such scheme:
- Choose a Topic
The main advantage of the discursive essay is that it can be dedicated to any topic. But on the other hand, it is a disadvantage for a student: he must think about numerous issues and express own feelings in the right manner. There are two options for you: you may choose one topic from the list or use your own and unique one. Both options are equal in efforts and require special skills.
- Write Outline
No matter this essay is very short, but the author should create an outline. Such blueprint contains the basic structure of your future paper and short description for each part. All types of discursive essay include the introduction, main body, and conclusion. So the structure is absolutely the same as in other academic papers. All parts in structure execute exact tasks:
- introduction: announces topic and your main questions to be described in paper;
- body: includes the arguments and thesis statements to discuss;
- Conclusion: requires from author to share his options and findings of his topic.
- Notice 3-5 Main Ideas in Body
These arguments are your power to prove or disprove the statements in your topic. Be sure, that strong arguments allow writer feeling himself free and discuss the topic with enthusiasm. It would be great, if you have 3+ agreements for and 3+ against ideas.
- Write the Draft of Your Essay
Having arguments for both sides, you can easily write the whole discursive essay. Follow the main structure and add all your ideas to ensure readers in your skills.
You can use there not only own arguments, but support them with reputable thoughts of well-known experts in the field. For instance, use primary and secondary resources to increase the power of own words.
- Make a Conclusion
Your last statements should be absolutely unique. Use your own ideas to finish paper and express your feelings about your topic. Be sure, that with great arguments you can make great last paragraph. In addition, don’t forget to highlight the value of your paper and topic, you have shared your opinion about.
- Proofread Your Essay
When you are excited in writing, hardly you can notice own misprints or mistakes. That’s why you need to read your paper several times to make sure it is perfect.
So writing a discursive essay is quite a hard task. The paper is small, but you need to pay attention to each sentence and check its relevance to main arguments and basic topic.
Structure of a discursive essay
- Start an essay with an introduction that sounds interesting to the readers. Try to avoid generalizations and stereotypes in your approach.
- Give a clear stance in the opening paragraph of the essay itself – you can be for or against a topic or statement if the essay asks you to do so. However, in essays that do not require a particular stance, you need to wait till the end to present your own views on the matter.
- In the subsequent paragraphs, try to build your arguments. You might have several arguments for your essay but you should write them in separate paragraphs so that they are coherent and distinct. Whenever you are building your argument – either in favour of or against of the topic, you need to provide supporting evidence from internal or external sources to strengthen your argument.
- Make sure you alternate from one argument to the other in an alternate manner, i.e., if you have written the first paragraph in support of the topic, then your second paragraph should be something against the topic and not in support of it. However, the third paragraph could be similar to paragraph one, supporting the topic as before. The next paragraph should be again similar to paragraph two, arguing against the topic. This combination of alternate for and against paragraphs will make your essay look distinct, better and thoroughly researched and will result in a lasting impact on the reader’s mind.
- After you have put all your thoughts and opinions in the body section, you now need to focus on the ending section, which is the conclusion. To write the conclusion you need to sum up the key points, which you have mentioned in the body paragraphs above and based on the essay type, you can state your final position on the topic/statement, which can be either for or against, or even can be neither of the two. However, whatever you write in the conclusion should resonate with your main body paragraphs. You can also write your personal opinion here if the essay requires you to do so but you should also express it in a logical way, clearly referencing it with your findings in the body paragraphs. Remember that your conclusion is not just a repetition of the arguments you have mentioned in the above body paragraphs but a summary of the main findings.
How to Write a Good Discursive Essay Using Ready-Made Examples?
You shouldn’t ignore discursive essay samples, if you aspire to create awesome paper. You really need to grasp for any chance to improve your essay, and good examples give you such opportunity. There are many samples on the Web, so just read them and use information in proper way.
Here are the most important benefits you can get from using discursive essay samples:
- Observe the average structure of the discursive essay.
The main structure is approximate, but every writer should follow current recommendations. Remember, that each small beer influences on your final mark;
- Find out the content of main parts in structure.
In general discursive writing is the same as other essays, but there are several particularities. After observing good samples you will understand such things;
- See the most common mistakes.
If you understand such problems, you will be able to avoid them in your paper. Let’s be honest: it is much better to learn from the mistakes of others, than make your own failures.
No one wants to make stupid mistakes, so examples of essays will protect you from such failures. Besides, be very attentive and do not copy any borrowed material without permission and link in the reference list, because your text may not pass a plagiarism free check out.
That’s why high-quality samples of discursive essays are considered to be the best option to improve your paper. This is a great way for new, but skilled authors. In case you are not really good at writing, you should better order discursive essay ideas for topic or the whole paper. You only need to provide the author with all information about your task and wait several days. Be sure, that your professor will be excited to estimate you the highest mark!
Discursive Essay: Main Types
You have to think more critically and more in-depth when reviewing all viewpoints and aspects of discursive writing. Check these three main types of essay writing:
- Opinion Essay
requires the author’s opinion on an issue which is stated in the introductory paragraph. It should be clearly presented and followed by reasons and supporting examples. Also, this essay paper should contain an opposing argument that comes before the conclusion. The writer must explain to readers why the mentioned argument is considered to be unconvincing. The writer’s opinion should be restated/summarized in the conclusion.
- For and Against Essay
Provides readers with a thorough debate on the topic with the help of opposing points of view. Each point should be discussed objectively and described in details. The introductory paragraph puts the issue under consideration. The main body of this essay paper should present examples, reasons, and arguments supported by justifications. The author’s own opinion with balanced reflections on the topic should be stated only in conclusion.
- Essay Suggesting Solution to a Problem
Discusses problems and finds the main solutions. The introduction paragraph explicitly declares a problem and analyses its causes and consequences. The main body of the essay should offer some suggestions for a possible solution to the problem and potential state consequences or expected results. In conclusion, author’s opinion should be distinctly summarized.
How to Make Your Essay Perfect?
To make your paper perfect, you can follow secret tips, which professional authors use:
- use formal 3rd person speech;
- create a special map of notices to clarify own points;
- imagine they have to try another person’s shoe to collect only fair arguments;
- use good and well-known examples from real life to support arguments;
- add references to all borrowed ideas;
- Finish paper at least day before the deadline to have additional time for editing.
But try to avoid such mistakes: to use over-generalization, clichés, personal examples, informal language, too emotional writing style, to insist on own correctness. It is not easy to understand how to write a discursive essay, but you can make it! Just use maximum skills and create awesome paper
An Outline for a Discursive Essay
The first question you may ask is how to start a discursive essay introduction. Simple!
- Give your readers a hook – something that would sound interesting to them.
- Provide a short explanation of the problem. You may use quotations, as well as rhetorical questions.
- Show your readers both sides of the arguments and sum up.
You may be wondering…
Is there something I should avoid in my discursive essay introduction?
Yes. No stereotypes and generalizations, please!
The next step under formal essay writing you should take is to compose the body.
- Stay unprejudiced. Assess all of the aspects of an issue. Leave your feelings behind or for another essay type.
- Build your argumentation. If you have several arguments for your viewpoint—provide them in separate paragraphs. This will help you to keep your essay comprehensible and distinct. Don’t forget to submit supporting evidence.
- Write the body of an essay in an alternate manner.What does it mean? If your first paragraph supports the paper’s argument, then in the second paragraph you should write something in the opposite of it. Such a combination of supporting and opposite paragraphs will make your essay look apparent, and well researched. Besides, it will help you to remain neutral.
- Include topic sentences and evidence. Write a summary of the argument at the beginning of the paragraph. It will allow the reader to easier understand what the paragraph is about. Provide evidence to show that you’re not making the facts up.
Discursive Essay Topics
There is another issue for students with discursive essay. Usually they have to think of something new and create a topic. Sometimes such a task requires the same amount of time which you need for writing. If you have good option in mind, then it is great. But if you feel lack of ideas, then welcome to our help. In the list below you will find top interesting and staying fresh ideas for discursive essay:
- Should we support the death penalty?
- The power of plastic surgery: yes or no?
- Is cutting hands the only one way to dust the corruption?
- Should people develop a religion tolerance in Muslim countries?
- What do you think about the childfree movement?
- Do you agree or not with the statement: the only free cheese is in the mousetrap?
- Is the Black Square by Kazimir Malevich precious or overvalued?
Just pick up one topic and start making your awesome discursive essay! In case you need additional help, just ask our professional writer to make this task for you.
Well, you’ve almost finished your writing. Now you should focus on the last section. Keep reading, and you will learn how to write a conclusion for a discursive essay.
- In the last section, you should summarize your article including the main points, specified in the body paragraphs.
- You may also logically express your opinion. Remember: it should resonate with your evidence stated in the body paragraphs.
- Don’t repeat findings, just summarize them.
Keep it short. Your conclusion length should not exceed one paragraph.